Professor Carole Ferrier
BA (Hons) London, PhD Auckland
Professor of Literature and Women's Studies
Phone: (+61 7) 336 53146
Professor Ferrier holds a BA Honours(London) and a PhD (Auckland) and teaches in the School of EMSAH , where she has been since 1973.
Research and Teaching Focus
Research interests include women's and gender studies, especially critical studies of Black women writers; Australian women writers; feminist and Marxist theory; and theorising of race and ethnicity, Queensland radical history; editing writers' correspondence.
Current research includes a book on Australasian women's fiction in transnational frames; a collaborative book on NZ Women's fiction; two edited collections of the letters between Vance and Nettie Palmer, The Courtship Correspondence and The Palmers and Spain in collaboration with Maryanne Dever and Deborah Jordan.
Twentieth-century comparative literature, especially by women; Gender and feminist studies; Australian literature; literary theory
- Jean Devanny: Romantic Revolutionary (Melbourne UP, 1999).
- Many book chapters, articles and reviews in women's studies and cultural studies especially in relation to Australian women writers.
- With Deborah Jordan, Hibiscus and Ti-Tree: Women in Queensland. St Lucia, Hecate P, 2009.
- With Raymond Evans, Radical Brisbane: An Unruly History. Melb: Vulgar P 2004.
- Janet Frame: A Reader. London: Women's P, 1995.
- As Good as a Yarn With You: Letters Between Franklin, Prichard, Devanny, Barnard, Eldershaw and Dark. Sydney: Cambridge UP, 1994.
- Several books of Australian women's critical, theoretical and creative writing, including: Gender, Politics and Fiction: 20th Century Australian Women's Novels. St Lucia: UQP, 1985. Expanded re-issue, 1992.
- Point of Departure: The Autobiography of Jean Devanny. St Lucia: UQP, 1986. Reissued 2009.
- Hecate: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Women's Liberation (since 1975).
- Australian Women's Book Review
- Politics and Culture: An International Review Journal
- Journal of the Association for the Study of Australian Literature.
- Australian Feminist Studies.
- Contemporary Women's Writing.
Fellowships, Grants, Awards
- 2008 Q150 Project funding $8000
- 2005- 2008 ARC Discovery Grant ($218,000) for editions of Palmer correspondence.
- 2005 Office for Women, Queenslad Government. $15,000 for Centenary of Subtrope projects.
- 2002 Distinguished Visiting Scholar, Monash University
- 2002 Meritorious Supervision Certificate: UQ Award for Excellence in RHD Supervision
- 2000 Queensland Council of Unions, Emma Miller Award
- 2000 UQ Affirmative Action Award, Office of Gender Equity
- Professor Ferrier is Director of the Centre for Research on Women, Gender, Culture and Social Change.
- Conference organisation: The WGCSC Centre held a seminar in August 2001 for the centenary of Eleanor Dark's birth; several of the papers presented appear in Hecate 22.1 (2001). The July Australian Women's Studies Association Conference was held in Brisbane in 2003, and papers from it published in Hecate 29.2 (2003) and 30.1 (2004). A conference celebrating 30 years of Hecate was held at Women's College, University of Sydney in December 2004 and some papers published in Social Alternatives 24.2 (2005). A conference for one hundred years of Queensland Women's Suffrage was held at the UQ Centre April 9-10, 2005, and papers published in Hecate.
- The Fourth and Fifth International Conferences on Mothering were organised though the Centre and held at UQ 5-7 July 2007, and 2-4 July 2009. The sixth will be at UQ, April 27-30, 2011.
- Also organised at UQ was the conference "Women Writers/Artists and Travelling Modernisms', 3-5 June 2009. Papers from this conference were published in Hecate 35 1/2 (2009).