Professor Gillian Whitlock, FAHA
|Professor Gillian Whitlock|
BA (Hons), MA (Qld), PhD (Qld) Grad. Cert. Higher Ed. (Griffith)
Professor in Literature
Phone: (+61 7) 3365 2255
Gillian Whitlock is a graduate of the University of Queensland and Queen’s University in Canada, and her scholarly networks focus on the fields of life writing and postcolonialism, with an emphasis on contemporary writing. She is currently an ARC Professorial Fellow in the School.
Research and Teaching Focus
Current Research - The ARC Fellowship (2010-2014) focusses on the archives of asylum seeker letters held in the Fryer Library at the University of Queensland. An interdisciplinary research team is now focussing on these archives and in June-July 2011 a special exhibition at the University of Queensland Art Museum, called ‘Living Archives’ and featuring the work of Professor Ross Gibson, will be on display in association with the research project. Professor Whitlock has recently presented papers on these archives at the International Association for Biography and Autobiography Conference at Sussex, and the Modern Language Association 2011 conference in Los Angeles. She is also co-editing a special issue of the journal ‘Biography’ focussing on ‘Posthuman Autobiography’ (with Professor Tom Couser) that will be the focus of a seminar at the East West Centre at the University of Hawaii in August 2011.
Her most recent papers on asylum seekers and on the posthuman can be read in Trauma Texts and Biography Fall 2010. She is currently writing a book on Postcolonialism and Life Narrative for the Oxford series on Literature and Postcolonialism.
- The Intimate Empire. Reading Women's Autobiography
- Soft Weapons: Autobiography in Transit .
- Re-Writing Queen's English (with Prof. Helen Tiffin)
- Images of Australia (with Assoc. Prof. David Carter)
- Interpreting the Past (with Gail Reekie)
- Australian/Canadian Literatures in English; Comparative Perspectives (with Russell McDougall)
- Australian Canadian Studies 1986-1991 (with Malcolm Alexander)
- Trauma Texts. Co-edited with Kate Douglas. London: Routledge 2009.
Refereed Journal Articles
- ‘Remediating Dian Fossey: Rape Warfare and the Limits of Humanitarian Storytelling’, Biography Fall 2010.
- Autographs. Contemporary Australian Autobiography.
- Eight Voice of the Eighties: Contemporary Australian Women's Writing. .
A list of Professor Gillian Whitlock's publications, including fulltext links, can be accessed via UQ eSpace.
Fellowships, Grants, Awards
- ARC Professorial Fellow
- Gillian Whitlock is a Board member of the Australia India Council, and a member of the judging panel for the Miles Franklin Prize. She is a Fellow of the Academy of the Humanities, and a member of the Academy Council.